Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Snickerdoodles


I am posting day 2 and 3 tonight, due to my lack of post last night...I was too bust baking.

I know I say this with a lot of foods, but I used to hate snickerdoodles. What’s so special about a buttery cookie dipped in cinnamon and sugar? Um, hello...what’s NOT special about a buttery cookie dipped in cinnamon and sugar. I do not know what my problem was.
When I decided to make 12 Christmas cookies, I ran out of ideas fast. So, I enlisted the help of my lovely, and hungry, friends and family to pass along the names of their favorite holiday cookie. A few people ended up mentioning this one, but it was Nicole, who mentioned them first. Unfortunately, Nicole is in San Francisso, but hopefully these keep long enough for her to have some, or I may just have to make another batch for her.
They were easy enough to want to make again. There is nothing unique about this recipe, except for the Bourbon Vanilla I added! And unlike many other things I try to make, these are not healthy...okay the wheat flour is good, but that’s about it.
It’s Christmas time- who wants a healthy cookie?

Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com
1/2 cup earth balance, softened
1/2 cup vegetable, non hydrogenated shortening
1 1/3 cups raw sugar
2 tablespoons ground flax w/ 6 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon bourbon vanilla
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 3/4- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons raw sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the flax and vanillas. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.
Mix the 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard. Remove immediately from baking sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment