Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Pecan Sandies


Yesterday I asked Claire, “What’s your favorite holiday cookie?” In typical Claire fashion, she was unsure of the name, but went on to energetically descripe a pecan cookie dipped in powdered sugar. I am unsure if she actually means Italian Wedding Cookies (I will make those later in the week), but Pecan Sandies have powdered sugar too, so that’s what I made.
I don’t think I have ever made these before, but they came out great. I had to add more flour after the batter was complete- they seemed a little too wet. I think it’s because of the water to flax ration, which was added instead of eggs.
The crushed pecans and almond meal give this cookie an excellent texture. And the insane amount of sugar will have you smiling, and running to the gym.

Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com
1 cup earth balance
1 cup canola oil
1 cup raw sugar
1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons flax with 6 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
I cup almond meal (I found this at Trader Joes...just use another cup of flour if you're pulling your hair out searching)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups chopped (very fine- almost crushed) pecans
1/2 cup raw sugar for decoration
Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
In a large bowl, cream together the margarine, canola oil, 1 cup raw sugar and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in the flax and water, then stir in the vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in the pecans. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and roll each ball in remaining white sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven

No comments:

Post a Comment