Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies


I am not sure that Chocolate Chip Cookies are very holiday-esque, but at least four people mentioned them. Then, when I asked my dad about his favorite cookie, he said this one. (I was beyond not surprised) My dad is a typical, sports watching, All-American guy and this is an All-American cookie. I was hesitant to add it to my twelve cookies, but when he told me he heard that chocolate chip cookies are the number one holiday cookie, I caved.
Since there are thousands of recipes, I knew I could modify and “healthify” this cookie no problem: so I did...somewhat.
I also added some warm spices to try to make it a little more Christmasy. If you are not vegan, you could add some colored mnms to these, but I don’t think I’m supposed to promote that on a vegan blog- keep your mouth shut.

Adapted from vegweb.com
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp.salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
vegan chocolate or carob chips - put in as many as you like
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoon vanilla you can use a combo of regular and bourbon vanilla, like I did()
1/4 cup water

Directions:

In a large bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add chips. Make a well in the center and set aside.

In a medium size bowl mix vegan sugar applesauce and oil. Mix it well. Add the vanilla and then add the water. Mix it well. Add the wet to the well in the dry. Mix it well but be careful not to overwork it. Add more chips if you need to. Spoon onto cookie sheets- you may need to spray them.

Bake 10 minutes, or until golden and soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment