Monday, December 7, 2009

A+ Oatmeal raisin cookies


I love school. I love cooking. (I sound like I'm about ready to launch into "I like lamp", from Anchorman.) In any case, when I really, really love a class, I usually show my appreciation for a teacher by cooking something.
Monday night was the last meeting for my favorite grad school class this semester. I have a feeling it may end up being my favorite class in my grad school endeavors, but that has yet to be seen.
A few weeks ago, my professor mentioned that oatmeal raisin cookies are her favorite. I wanted to make her a little treat to show her how much I appreciate her class. It is rare to find a class/teacher as amazing as this one. I think you will agree that when a teacher (or anyone) is truly fabulous, he/she deserves to hear it. Those of you in EDC 171, who read the blog (shout out!) will agree, I hope.
Here is the recipe for these amazing cookies (I promise I am not giving them to her hoping she will give me an A.) Regardless, these cookies are an A+ recipe. I can't believe I didn't use any fat, oil, butter, etc. And the only sugar comes from fruits and maple syrup. You may not believe it until you try it, but please do. These cookies are soft and sweet and, if you're counting, have about 50-60 calories per serving.
I made a batch with raisins and one with chocolate chips (the cal count goes up if you're indulging in chocolate! But who cares?)
P.S. Check back tomorrow for some delish risotto.

Dry:
1 cup oats
1 1/2 cups whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Wet:
2 tablespoons ground flax (I know it's a dry ingredient, but keep it with the wet!)
6 tablespoons water
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 mashed banana
1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 cup raisins and/or 1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine wet ingredients (not raisins). Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add wet to dry ingredients. Mix until combined, do not over mix. Add raisins and/or other mix ins.

Spoon onto cookie sheet with spoon or cookie dough dropper (buy one of these!!!) Bake for about 12-15 minutes. Until soft, but firm in the middle. Makes between 24-30 cookies.
Give to a teacher, or eat them all yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment