Wednesday, February 10, 2010

HFCS

I hate to climb up on my soapbox, but it needed dusting, so I thought, "what the heck?"
Have you seen the High Fructose Corn Syrup commercials? They are supported by the Corn Refiners Association (shocking!) and consist of two idiots- one half idiot who asks the major idiot why he is eating something with HFCS who says, ""what's wrong with HFCS? It's made from corn and is the same as sugar." Then the half idiot is like, "omg, you're so smart. Run away with me so we can eat HFCS together forever."
Gag me.

I am not saying I don't have HFCS occasionally- we all get our Oreo cravings, but I don't promote it either. So many companies figure out ways to make foods with HFCS- why can't they all?
So what's he dealio anyway?: First of all, studies find that HFCS contains mercury. Um, awesome. Who doesn't want to eat mercury? I know I do. The sugar industry created HFCS in the 1960's because sugar prices were high and they needed a way to bring more supply to consumers- enter HFCS. It is true that the product is calorically the same as sugar. But, let's remember that 1 chicken breast and mashed potatoes with broccoli has the same amount of calories as a snickers bar (I think you know which one keeps you fuller without a sugar crash.) Since HFCS is relatively new, researchers aren't sure how bad it is, but they are making some links between heart disease, cholesterol and even diabetes and obesity.

Here's the deal- we're all going to take in a little HFCS now and again, but I encourage you to read labels and know what you're eating. Think about it- would you ask the store clerk, "what aisle can I find HFCS? I need it to bake a cake." No, you wouldn't. So why would you buy foods that contain it?

Be smart people, and watch these commercials- they really drive me crazy.
Soapbox is back in the closet now.

Here are the links. Oh, and expect some red velvet vday cupcakes and some muffins in the next couple of days...the ingredients will surprise you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEbRxTOyGf0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVsgXPt564Q

No comments:

Post a Comment