Thursday, June 25, 2009

Risotto stuffed artichokes


Now that I feel a little more comfortable in the world of vegan cooking, I'm beginning to create my own recipes and trying to stop playing copycat from all my favorite vegan cooking blogs: check out these kitchen heroes on my favorite links!
The other night I decided a stuffed artichoke sounded like a lovely dinner, but what stuffing? How to cook the chokes?
Risotto and the BBQ would be the answers.
After a mishap with the propane tank, the BBQ idea went out the window, so I steamed the chokes and broiled them in a bit of grapeseed oil. (Note: I should have cooked the chokes longer...oops!)
Nevertheless, the risotto was fab and the fam gave it rave reviews. The risotto is versatile- you can sneak in any veggies you like, but I used some summer squash from my new CSA!
Enjoy my first recipe:
Risotto stuffed artichokes

Risotto:
Serves 5-7
1 tablespoon healthy oil
1/2 tablespoon earth balance
quarter of one large yellow onion, diced
3 small summer squash, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups arborio rice
6 cups vegetable stock (more if needed)
1/4 cup soy creamer
1 quarter cup green onion, diced
Dried or fresh basil, if desired
vegan mozzarella cheese, if desired


Melt butter and oil together in a large pot or skillet. Add onion until slightly golden, add garlic and squash.
Add rice and cook until slightly golden.
Add enough of the stock to cover the rice and simmer until liquid begins to evaporate. Continue to add stock, to cover rice, until all the stock is used. (This process will take about 20 minutes.)
When ready to serve, add soy creamer. (Add more or less depending on desired consistency)
Top with green onion, a sprinkle of basil and some finely grated cheese.

Cook the artichokes however you wish, but make sure they are seasoned with some herbs, or salt and pepper. Halve the chokes, scoop out their middles, and fill them with the risotto.

Serve with salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment