Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Stir Fry



In the mood for stir fry? This is an easy recipe for a quick weekday meal.
It started with me realizing we had Basmati rice in the cabinet, some left over red pepper and carrots and then deciding to buy the supplies I need for stir fry!
You can add whatever veggies you have on hand, not to mention tofu, "chicken" or "beef". I tried the beef for the first time last night and although I don't think I'll buy it again, at least I don't have to be curious anymore! Beef was never my thing and the alternative isn't either... maybe that means it actually resembles beef...
Of course, I tried to be ambitious and make egg rolls, but I literally bought EGG roll wrappers- momentary lapse in vegan judgement.
I pulled the wrappers out of the fridge and it dawned on me that egg rolls are, duh, made of egg. So, at 6:20, I made a quick call and we made a hasty run to the local Thai restaurant for some salad rolls and they were delish! I also served this meal with steamed edamame.
Stayed tuned for blackberry pie tonight or tomorrow!

Serves 4-6
Basmati rice (follow directions and amounts for 4-6 ppl)
1 tablespoon oil or water
1 red pepper, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1 bag shredded carrots
1 package sliced mushrooms
1 tsp. chili paste (add more for spicy tastebuds)
1/2 cup teryaki or soy sauce
1/4 cup crushed peanuts (optional)
1 bundle green onion, chopped (optional)
1 cup bean sprouts (optional)
1 pkg "chicken" or "beef" strips

In a large pan, saute red pepper and succhini until slightly tender, add mushrooms and carrots and cook until veggies are soft, but not mushy. Add meat, if desired.
In a large bowl, stir chili paste and sauce.
Mix cooked rice and veggies into the bowl of sauce.

Place stir fry on platter and top with peanuts, onions and bean sprouts. Serve with sald rolls and edamame, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment