Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Butternut Squash soup- can you say fall?


I know, I know. I have been more than remiss the past several weeks. What can I say? A girl goes from the end of a lazy summer to starting school, work, etc., etc. all at the same time.
In case you haven't recently experienced really cold weather (my trip to Boise last weekend exposed me to real, non-California, cold) or tons of rain, I'll get you in the loop and say...it's FALL!!
I'm excited (if those caps and exclamation points didn't clue you in). This means sweaters, fires, the smell of Christmas and really excellent food. I'm getting a little tired of sandwiches and veggie burgers.
Tonight's meal screamed fall:
Roasted Butternut Squash soup, apple cinnamon bread and roasted veggies. You won't find the bread or veggies in this post (don't tell, but the bread was in a box from Trader Joe's and the veggies are cut, drizzled with grapeseed oil, salt and herbs, which I roasted in the oven.)
The soup recipe was built from many recipes: Alton Brown, allrecipes, Vitamix and my head. Please enjoy- this was truly delicious and creamy and if you're unsure of squash soup, let this year be the one that you grow up, stop complaining and try it!

Ingredients:
1 large butternut squash
1 apple (choose the variety, I used Honeycrisp)
1/2 onion
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp soy butter, melted
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 whole wheat flour
2 cups vegetable broth
Grapeseed or olive oil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.
Cut squash in half, peel skin and cube into 1.5-2 in cubes (I know it takes work, deal). Cut apple into similar chunks. Place squash and apple in a casserole dish (try not to overlap) Pour melted butter, salt, cinnamon and herbs over the squash and apple. Bake for 40-45 minutes (until tender)
Chop onion and mix garlic. Saute onion in a bit of grapeseed oil. When translucent, add garlic and heat.
In a vitamix (or blender*) mix vegetable broth and flour. If using the vitamix, blend on high for 5 minutes- it should get hot. Add squash and apple, onion and garlic mixture to flour and broth. Blend until pureed. Serve hot with bread and roasted veggies.

*I made my soup in a vitamix, so the blender may produce different results. You may not need to blend as long because it will not heat like a vitamix will.

No comments:

Post a Comment