Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Eggplant Parmesan


This weekend, my dear friend, Nicole asked, "When are you going to update your blog? I check it all the time!" Thank goodness someone does... if you're out there, little readers, please comment on my recipes so I know you're reading!
In any case, I'm posting this recipe for Nicole because she asked. So, if there is anyone who wants me to cook something and post it on my blog: tell me!!! I'm sure vegan cooking sounds scary and there must be tons of recipes you're sure I cannot veganize, so give me a challenge.
Last week, I received some eggplant from my CSA. I really enjoy eggplant, but I enjoy it the same way I enjoy mint... as a flavor. No one sits around eating mint leaves, and rarely do I eat an eggplant, even though eggplant tapenade and hummus frequent my refrigerator. So, today was the perfect night to make eggplant parmesan. Likely one of the most common vegetarian Italian dishes, I've read recipes that fry the eggplant, bake it, bbq it, or some combo of two. Since I've never had eggplant parmesan, I cannot say how this recipe compares, but our foreign exchange student and I loved it.
My red sauce was homemade and I even added some diced squash (because oodles of it are sitting on my counter, yelling at me to use them!)
For tonight, I will not be posting my sauce recipe because it was a little too acidic, but I'll play with it and get back to you.
Don't forget to read the post below this one- I've made some treats for you!

Eggplant Parmesan: serves 4-5

3 medium to large eggplants
1-2 tablespoons healthy oil
1 cup panko breadcrumbs (their texture holds up well in the oven)
Vegan parmesan cheese
Vegan mozzarella cheese (opt.)
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon oregano, or other dried herb
I jar, can, or 2 cups red sauce

Preheat oven to 425.
Slice eggplant diagonally, in about 1 inch slices. Brush with healthy oil, on both sides.
Mix breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, parmesan and herbs into a shallow bowl.
Lightly coat a baking dish with red sauce. (The casserole dish should be large enough to hold the eggplant slices without overlap.)
Place each eggplant slice into the breadcrumb mix, making sure both sides get a generous coat.
When finished, place each slice into the baking dish, sprinkle leftover crumbs onto the eggplant slices.
Cook in the oven for about 25 minutes.
(This is the eggplant after the first bake.)
When the crumbs are crisply, pour sauce over each slice to cover. Top with mozzarella cheese and return to oven. Cook until bubbly and brown- about 10 more minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ali! I don't know if you remember me... I was formerly Emily Klee, now Emily Norquist (I just got married!), but I went to UP and was really good friends with Aggie Jaeger. Anyway- my husband and I have been vegan for almost a year, and when Aggie told me you became vegan, I was super excited! So, I've been looking at your blog and admiring your recipes! I just wanted you to know that there's someone else out there supporting you and reading your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete